Hello! Welcome to Violet Class.
This is such a special year for our children as they finish their time at primary school with brilliant (and challenging) learning and experiences that prepare them for what lies ahead. We have fantastic topics and brilliant trips to engage our learners all year. There is lots of information on this page, should you need it, such as Violet class staff, our termly newsletter and resources to help with learning. If you wish to discuss anything about your child or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch. I am available after school every day but Thursday or you can write in your child’s home-school diary and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Year 6 Staff
Class Teacher: Mrs Gemma Lewis
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Tamar Newton
- Reading: Please share books and listen to your child read their school book at least 4 times a week (this can be for as little as 15 – 20 minutes at a time). Frequent opportunities to read and talk about books, with lots of praise and enthusiasm, is key to further developing your child’s reading.
- Bug Club: Children may also choose to read at home by logging into Bug Club here. This is a fantastic resource provided by the school with a wide range of appropriate and engaging reading material available. This should be used alongside your child’s home reading book.
- Spelling: Your child will receive a list of about 5 – 10 spellings each week. Please encourage your child to explore and practise these words at home to support them in becoming fluent writers.
- Maths: Download the 1-Minute Maths app here. It is a free app from White Rose Maths and supports the learning we do in school. This app is excellent for helping children to develop quick recall of essential maths facts. Again, 2 or 3 minutes a few times a week will make a really positive difference to your child’s progress in mathematics.
- Times Table Rock Stars: Log in to Times Tables Rock Stars here or download the free app. This is a great resource provided by the school to help children grasp the essential multiplication and division facts needed to keep making good progress in mathematics. Please encourage your child to practise their times tables for a few minutes at least 4 times a week.
- Additional homework tasks: to support children in taking greater responsibility for their learning and to help prepare them for the transition to secondary school, weekly tasks may be set by the class teacher. The children will be responsible for completing the tasks and returning them to school on time.